Overview of Some Technical Activities
- TAOS has been sponsor/co-sponsor of several ICC/GLOBECOM Symposia, including Symposium on Selected Areas on Communications (SAC), the Optical Networks and Systems (ONS) Symposium, and the Wireless Communications Symposium (WCS). We have had a long-term cooperation with several ComSoc TCs, such as the Optical Networking Technical Committee (ONTC), the Technical Committee on Communication Switching and Routing (TC-CSR), the Technical Committee on Green Communications and Computing (TCGCC), and the Technical Committee on Power Line Communications (TC-PLC). TAOS has played a particularly leading role in promoting and advancing the ICC/GLOBECOM SAC Symposium. Our TC has made the initiatives of introducing two new tracks into this symposium and continues to sponsor and organize them, namely:
- the Access Networks and Systems (ANS) Track
- the Green Communication Systems and Networks (GCSN) Track
Both tracks were introduced into ICC/GLOBECOM programs per TAOS’ proposals, continue as successful SAC tracks until today, and are attracting rising numbers of submissions. They are also credited for attracting considerable industrial interest and submissions. Since ICC 2016, the GCSN has been elevated to a Full ICC/GLOBECOM Symposium after GITC approved TAOS’ proposal to do so in December 2014 (Austin).
- TAOS contributes to numerous ComSoc Technical Co-Sponsorships (TCS) of external conferences and provides leadership and TPC membership thereto. Please, see our events’ sponsorship page for details.
- TAOS promotes and sponsors special issues of leading ComSoc publications, and contributes to editorial leadership of numerous IEEE ComSoc publications. The TC’s Best Readings project was one of the first three ComSoc’s projects in this series when it was published in 2012. TAOS’ Best Readings project is in the area of Broadband Access.
- TAOS contributes numerous IEEE Fellows, ComSoc Distinguished Lecturers, and recipients of IEEE Awards to our global technical community.
- TAOS membership has contributed, and continues to contribute, several ComSoc officers and leaders in numerous areas including, but not limited to:
- Board of Governors (e.g., Stefano Bregni, Tarek El-Bawab, Nelson Fonseca, Stefano Galli, and Steve Gorshe)
- Vice-Presidency, Members Relations (Stefano Bregni)
- Directorship of Conference Operations (Tarek El-Bawab)
- Directorship of Conference Development (Nelson Fonseca)
- Chief Information Office (Stefano Galli)
- Directorship of Magazines (Steve Gorshe)
- Education and Training Board (e.g. Stefano Bregni, Tarek El-Bawab, Michael Devetsikiotis, and Fabrizio Granelli)
- GLOBECOM/ICC Technical Committee – GITC (e.g. Michael Devetsikiotis as Chair, Stefano Bregni, and Fabrizio Granelli)
- GLOBECOM/ICC Management and Strategy Committee – GIMS (e.g. Michael Kincaid)
- Awards Committee (e.g. Michael Kincaid)
- Standards Board (e.g. Frank Effenberger)
ComSoc Technical Co-Sponsorship of conferences, workshops, and other events requires Technical Committee(s) endorsement(s). This procedure aims at guaranteeing technical quality and independence of the peer-review process for paper selection.
Contribution to Standards
TAOS members actively contribute to a number of standards promoted by the IEEE Communications Society standards Development Board. Prof. Jaafar Elmirghani is the TAOS Liaison to the IEEE Standards Association.
Recent Activity Reports
TAOS issues an activity report each year. An annual report provides overview of the activities of our TC in a given year, technical and administrative updates, and disseminates information about these activities and updates to our global technical community-.